Home / Latest News / Britons Aged 18 To 40 Willing To Pay 23% More On Average For Hotel Rooms Around The World Than Those Aged 41+

Britons Aged 18 To 40 Willing To Pay 23% More On Average For Hotel Rooms Around The World Than Those Aged 41+

Britons aged 18 to 40 are willing to pay almost 25% more for their hotel rooms than those older than them, even though just a quarter of Britons admit that they get their money’s worth booking an expensive room and taking advantage of all of the perks on offer.

The study was conducted by affordable accommodation provider www.CityLiveIn.com as part of an ongoing study into the cost of accommodation around the world. 2,442 Britons aged 18 and over, a 50/50 split amongst the age groups 18-40 years old and 41+ years old, were quizzed about what they considered to be ‘affordable’.

Initially all respondents were asked what they considered when they came to book accommodation for their breaks away, to which the top responses were ‘it fits my budget’ (32%) and ‘it’s close to local attractions and entertainment’ (29%).

When asked what type of accommodation they were likely to book, those aged 18 to 40 stated they’d book ‘anything as long as it was cheap’ (68%), and those aged 41+ stated they tended to ‘look for a treat, something nicer than home’ (55%).

All respondents were then provided with a list of various cities within the UK and asked to state how much they’d consider paying for a night’s stay that they deemed affordable. The results were as follows:

City 18 to 40 years old 41+ years old
London £160 £125
Edinburgh £120 £100
Birmingham £110 £75
Manchester £105 £120
Cardiff £85 £65

 

All respondents were then provided with a list of different cities around the world and asked to state how much they’d be willing to pay for a night’s stay – both in order to determine average costs per age group and how this compared to the UK. The results were as follows:

 

City 18 to 40 years old 41+ years old
New York £300 £230
Sydney £255 £190
Cape Town £235 £185
Barcelona £195 £260
Bangkok £145 £200

 

According to the poll, when relevant respondents were asked why they’d consider paying almost double abroad for the same experience as they’d get in a UK city hotel, the top responses were ‘I’d expect to pay more when abroad’ (46%) and ‘overseas hotels are generally better’ (30%).

Any respondents who’d previously stayed in what they deemed to be an expensive hotel were asked if they felt they got their money’s worth. Just 24% of respondents felt they did; the remaining 76% stated that they either ‘didn’t spend enough time in the room to truly enjoy it’ (54%) or ‘it wasn’t up to my standards’ (46%).

Tony Horan, General Manager of www.CityLiveIn.com, commented:
“It’s mind boggling that people think they have to go abroad and pay through the roof for something simply because it’s abroad, yet we have so much to see and do right here in the UK. Realistically you don’t spend that much time in your hotel room, you’re out and about seeing the sights, so it makes no real difference if you pay £50 or £500 for your room. OK the bed may be comfier and you may have fancy extras, but chances are you won’t use them enough to justify the cost. That money could be better spent on something else; day trips, souvenirs and even food & drink.”

About News

x

Check Also

Funds Handed Over To Charities Following 2017 MHA Ball

More than £30,000 has been handed over to charities following this year’s Manchester Hoteliers’ Association Awards and Ball. Hospitality Action received £16,000 during a ...