Hotels and B&Bs come out top for online customer service according to new research published by online search platform Intently.co. The team at Intently analysed data from over 16,000 service providers covering 160 business sectors around the world to find out which professions offer the best online consumer experience.
The top performers were hotels and accommodation services with 33%, and cosmetic surgery companies coming in with 32%. All the emails sent to these businesses were requests for work to be undertaken, so service providers should have been motivated to respond quickly.
Intently is a revolutionary new search engine service that allows customers to request quotes for professional services with none of the leg work of searching through hundreds of businesses and contacting them all individually. Simply ask for the service you want anywhere in the world and they will provide you with the professionals in your area best suited to the job.
Intently’s CEO, Neil Harris says:
“It is great to see Hotels and B&Bs holding out so well against other sectors in this research. Customer service is such a key part of the hotel and accommodation sector’s core offering that it is good to see that the “customer is king” ethos extends right through from virtual contact to face to face interaction. There are many industries that didn’t do so well including solicitors, plumbers and surprisingly technology companies and they need to consider upping their game when it comes to online service.
“It was our aim to show that responding to customers online is just as important as face to face or telephone contact. As a business, we pride ourselves on being able to offer buyers the chance to ‘request any service anywhere, get responses within the hour’. However, we can only be as good as our service providers since we connect them directly to consumers. When customers choose who to buy from, cost is important, but speed of response and customer service matters even more.”
Summary of results:
Best five industries for customer service:
- Holiday accommodation and services e.g. hotels, B&Bs and self catering cottages (33%)
- Cosmetic Surgery (32%)
- Pet Services e.g. dog grooming, dog walking, kennels and catteries (28%)
- Beauty Services e.g. beauticians, hair and make up artists (26%)
- Venue Services (25%)
Worst five industries for customer service:
- Technology Services e.g. web design and development, SEO services, online marketing and social media (5%)
- Delivery Services e.g. couriers, flower delivery (11%)
- Home Services e.g. plumbers, builders and electricians (15%)
- Vehicle Maintenance e.g. car servicing and tyre replacement (15%)
- Legal Services e.g. solicitors and lawyers (16%)