The UK will be popping bubbly this week for National Champagne Week, and it’s a much needed surge for the category which has seen slow growth over the past year. Wine App Vivino, has seen a YOY decline in consumption of Champagne for 8 of the 9 months in 2016 so far.
- Although the UK has retained its position as the number one export market for Champagne, category growth has been slow, increasing only by 1.2% in 2015.
- This year, Vivino has found that Champagne consumption has fallen from 55.12% in the sparkling wine category in August 2015 to 51.57% this summer.
- Surprisingly, Champagne had a particularly rough summer, with more than a 10% YOY decline in July.
- Other wines in the sparkling category however, have been stealing some of Champagne’s limelight. By comparison, English sparkling wine enjoyed more than a 17% YOY growth in July 2016.
Champagne’s YOY growth in 2016
Data from the number of people consuming Champagne on Vivino.
- January: -11.91%
- February: -18.83%
- March: +2.61%
- April: -1.59%
- May: -6.56%
- June: -7.09%
- July: -10.18%
- August: -9.30%
- September: -7.01%
Top 10 highest rated Champagnes in the UK
To give Champagne a new lease of life in the UK, Vivino is sharing the top 10 highest rated Champagnes, reviewed by its community of over 19 million wine drinkers of every level of expertise.
- Pol Roger, Champagne Sir Winston Churchill Brut
2. Dom Perignon, Champagne Oenotheque Brut
3. Krug, Champagne Collection Brut
4. Ruinart, Champagne Dom Ruinart Brut
5. Dom Perignon, Champagne Brut Rose
6. Dom Perignon, Champagne Brut
7. Krug, Champagne Vintage Brut
8. Bollinger, Champagne La Grande Annee Brut Rose
9. Krug, Champagne Grande Cuvee Brut
10. Salon, Le Mesnil Blanc de Blancs Brut Champagne