Pensioner Dies Of Food Poisoning Following Lunch At Cornwall Pub

A pensioner died from food poisoning at a pub where she had a roast dinner, a court heard. Christine Morgan, 71, had dined with her husband Nigel and his cousin Monica Thomas on the ‘pensioner’s lunch’ at the Clock and Key in Trispen, which is now under new management.

The trio had seen a board advertising a “pensioner’s lunch” which offered a roast meal and a dessert for a set price.

however, soon after consuming her roast lamb on 11 August 2015, she began to feel unwell with vomiting and diarrhoea.

She got increasingly worse, and died in an ambulance travelling to hospital the following night.

Truro Crown Court heard how the fundamental cause of death was food poisoning, and, after Mrs Morgan’s inquest, an investigation was initiated by Cornwall Council into the service of ‘unfit food’ at the premises in Trispen, Truro.

The court heard Diane Burrow, 56, from Crosstrown, near Bude, Cornwall, was responsible for managing the kitchen and had failed to follow hygiene rules for the safe preparation of food. She was fined £750.

The company that owns the pub, Lake Inns & Leisure Limited, was also fined £20,000 and ordered to pay costs of £23,896.09.

Both had previously pleaded guilty to four counts of breaching food safety and hygiene regulations.

Cornwall Council said in a statement: “Following a notification in August 2015 from the Pathologist at Royal Cornwall Hospital Truro of the death of a lady linked to food poisoning, Cornwall Council Public Protection Service conducted an investigation into the service of unfit food at the Clock and Key Public House.

“Subsequently charges were brought before Truro Crown Court against Lake Inns and Leisure Ltd and Diane Elizabeth Burrow, the manager of the pub.”